Taste MIGF 2013:Day 1

Saturday, September 14, 2013 Liyana Hanim 0 Comments

I saw an article about Taste MIGF(Malaysian International Gourmet Festival) from Timeout KL I believe..it was a month or so ago.Put a reminder to attend it and I managed to do so last Saturday and Sunday with Qeema.Aside from my boyfriend[who's outstation for work for 11 whole days..sad...:(( ],she's perfect for the event because she loves to eat and is up to try anything.

The event was held at the Sunway Pyramid Convention Center.It's basically where you get to taste bite size dishes from various upscale restaurants all over Malaysia and the area was called Super Gourmet Safari.To be able to taste the dishes you had to buy Taste Tokens--it was rm50 per booklet of 10 tokens.Each dishes range from 1-3 tokens.

There's also The Epicure International Gourmet Village whereby you can buy and taste various products.Lastly there's the Epicure Lifestyle Workshops where you can watch cool cooking demos.

DAY 1
Qeema and I purchase 1 booklet of tokens each.So we pooled our 20 tokens together and went on a food hunt!
Above is an example of a station.They'll have the board above to show the dishes that they have and the amount of tokens that each dishes are worth.
Snippets of day one:Me&Chef Wan!!
As we entered the Super Gourmet Safari,the place was so beautiful.I remembered my previous employee held our annual dinner there last year and when I went in,it was a total transformation!We heard Chef Wan's voice because he was doing a cooking demo in the middle of the entire event(he was there for both days).

Thanks to TasteMIGF informative pamphlet which they provide all over the venue,I was able to explain clearly on what Qeema and I ate during both days.Before I start,I just want to tell you that I don't have that adventurous of an appetite compared to my boyfriend.Thus,TasteMIGF was a big deal to me because I got to try so many things that I wouldn't had the time to try or just wouldn't try on a daily basis like--foie gras,angus beef,gorgonzola,grana padano,black truffle,veloute,beef tartare,yorkshire pudding and so many more!

So let's recap the dishes that I had on the first day:
Pictured below are the six items being offered by The Restaurant which are situated at The Club Saujana Resort.I have to say that all of their food was very good.I'll list it down below:
Station 13:The Restaurant at The Club Saujana Resort

1)Duck and foie gras--This was just delicious!I've had duck before but never paired with foie gras.
2)Salmon viudo--This was actually quite so-so to me and Qeema.
3)Lamb eggplant--This was good!And guess what,I don't even like lamb but I love this.That's saying something!
4)Sea bass bouillabaisse--This was Qeema's fave and it was good.The bouillabaisse was so flavorful.
5)Sweet corn veloute--This was my favorite.I slurp the veloute to the last tiny drop.haha
6)Ultimate chocolate brownie--This brownie was tiny but it was packed with chocolate making it very rich.
More food!Sorry but the lighting was very dark inside!
Station 28:Ten Japanese Fine Dining
Qeema wanted to try the food from this station because she heard their Japanese food are excellent.So choose two dishes from their six offerings(we didn't try the foie gras mousse eclair,yuzu sorbet,eel sushi and green tea&white choc mousse)

7)Ebi Katsu--This one is delicious!Ebi katsu means prawn cutlet.I would eat two of these.ahaha
8)Niku Maki--This one was good but we weren't fans of it because there was so much rice inside  of it.Niku means meat and maki means roll.

Station 12:Kelantan Delights
9)Air serai wangi--this drink wasn't good.But I like the strip of cucumber inside.


Station 5:Qba Latin Bar and Grill
10)Slow braised oaxacan mole black angus beef short rib--
This was just toooo rich!Being someone who loves to read and especially reading about food,I know of mole(pronounce as ole with an m in front) which is a sauce used in Mexican cuisine(read a novel that I love--Like Water for Chocolate) .Qeema didn't like it and I tried to like it but..I just couldn't.Pity because the beef was great but the sauce wasn't.

Station 23:Arthur's Bar and Grill
11)Yorkshire pudding with pulled beef--This was gooooddd!

Station 9:Midori Restaurant
12)Tuna Carpachio--If the chef read this,I'm really sorry.I actually had to spit this out.I love tuna!But this was just so fishy!I don't know what happened but it wasn't fresh at all.Raw fish shouldn't smell/taste fishy/off.It was not good!

Station 8:Tuscany Restaurant
13)Hand dive scallops,pea puree--The scallops was good BUT the puree had a weird sweet taste to it that puts me and Qeema off.But we love the touch of caviar on top!

Station 3:Five Senses
14)Foie gras and duck roll--This was really good!(you can see that I'm running out of words!)
15)Teckow yam dumpling--This dessert had such a soft skin to it..it's like a mochi but wayyyy better.

Station 11:Tarbush Restaurant
16)Kunafa--I thought that this dessert looked like a baklava which is a fave of mine.So I had to try it.Actually there's cream cheese inside of it.It was good and wasn't too sweet.

Station 21:Lai Po Heen
17)Peking duck roll--I love a good peking duck roll.And this was a great mouthful..mmmm.

Station 17:Cuisine Gourmet by Nathalie
18)Beef tartare,quail egg on a crispy french bread--I've never had beef tartare before and this was really good!The combination with the quail egg and crispy bread was excellent.

So that was all the food that we ate during our day 1!

After all of the food,we went to the Epicure International Gourmet Village!There was so many great products being sold there.We managed to buy quite a few things.
Huge salmon!
Oysters!
Excellent ice cream--Malaysian made!
We saw Veda Blu's ice cream next to Bright Cow's booth(explain below) and they give free samples.Their ice cream was good.The flavor didn't taste artificial and we can tell that it was made from high quality ingredients.They're Malaysian made and based in Sabah.But they'll be opening a franchise in Damansara soon.I had a scoop of their excellent coconut ice cream and Qeema had the Belgian chocolate.
Cheeses from Bright Cow/Romani

A few days before,Qeema was talking to me and Razin about Bright Cow.(click to know more) Bright Cow sells Jersey Milk(milk from Jersey cows).They make their own cheeses too!Here's the thing,I don't drink milk nor do I like milk.But when I tasted Bright Cow's milk at MIGF,I was like...wow it doesn't taste like the normal milk that we have at the supermarket.They sell fresh milk and I like and can take the taste of it.So I bought a bottle for myself along with some fresh ricotta cheese.
Qeema's and my purchases from Bright Cow
Loveee the excellent baklava!
I tasted some excellent baklava at the Turkish food booth.They're available at Jason's food hall in BSC.I bought a few home and they were finish by the next day.haha.
Wagyu beef tasting!So juicy.
Funny thing was that we actually had a lot of coffee that day.Qeema had three cups while I had two(it was free!).One was from MCIS Zurich booth and one from Nescafe Dolce Gusto.Qeema bought another from Antipodean's booth.
Qeema's specially designed latte at Nescafe Dolce Gusto's booth.

We could see the MTV World Stage set up

Cooking demos!
Before we eat,we actually watched a part of Chef Wan's cooking demo.After we eat,both of us managed to snap a photo with him!!

To end the day,we went and watch a cooking demo by Chef David Morris of Sunway's Le Cordon Bleu.He was very funny and learned a lot of cooking tips from him.He made red mullet and potato salad.We got to taste the dish after the end of the class.
Beautiful dish by Chef David Morris 
That was my recollection of day 1 at Taste MIGF.Qeema and I was fortunate to go on the second day as well because...I won a booklet of tokens from them via twitter!:) So the day 2 blog post will be up in a few days.Have a great weekend and Happy Malaysia Day!









0 comments: