7 movie reviews:Frozen,The To-Do List,The Host,The Internship,The World's End,Jobs&Admission

Monday, December 30, 2013 Liyana Hanim 0 Comments

I'm a movie buff and so is the boyfriend.We watch a lot of movies together.Mostly at his family's house and not at the cinema.His dad has a projector so we would watch movies with his siblings and their other half as well on the 'big screen'.Among all the movies that I'm writing about today,I only watch one of it--Frozen,at the cinema.

Coincidentally,four of the movies that I'll be talking about in this post has the word "The" in front of it.haha

Let's start shall we!

1)Frozen 




I love Disney movies.The latest one that I was obsessed with was Tangled.I can watch that movie over and over again.So Disney came out with a new one that's perfect for Christmas as it's about a princess who has an unusual ability.She can turn things into ice/snow.Hence the title.But she has problems controlling her powers since she was little ever since something bad happened to her little sister because of it.

The songs are pretty catchy and the tiny talking snowman(forgotten the name cos I watch this movie like..2 weeks ago?) was so cute!The boyfriend who went with me enjoyed the movie as well.The storyline is pretty predictable but it doesn't mean that it wasn't enjoyable!If you have an inner child,you will love this.

I'd give it 3.5 out of 5.

2)The To-Do List


When I watched the trailer I was excited to watch this movie because they've an amazing cast.Aubrey Plaza,Bill Hader(I'm such a fan of Bill Hader especially when he used to be Stefon on SNL!) ,Andy Samberg,Rachel Bilson and many more.So I really wanted to love this movie but I ended up not liking it very much at all.I was actually glad when the movie ended.Some of the jokes weren't even funny.Some were just too distasteful.Don't even get me started on the awful outfits that Aubrey had to wear.

The title of the movie is in accordance to Aubrey's character's to do list--a long list of sex stuffs that she wants to do before she goes to college so that she's not "the virgin".

She was so intent to check all the stuffs in her list that she forget about other people's feelings--sleeping with the guy whom her bestie have had a crush on and using a guy who clearly has a thing for her,just for sex.

The were some totally gross and uncomfortable scenes.Some were funny though.I'd give this movie 2.5 out of 5.

3)The Host

I didn't expect that I would quite like this movie because reviews haven't been kind to it.I guess because the book was written by the same author who wrote Twilight(I read all of Twilight's book back in university days..sue me hahaha),people didn't have a good outlook on it.But I've to say that I quite enjoy it.It doesn't hurt that they've two hot guys in it hahaha.

The host is about how the human race are now taken over by an alien species that is called "Souls".A girl named Melanie had an alien who's name is "Wanderer" being put inside of her after she fell from a building,running away from the aliens.Instead of exposing the location of the last remaining humans,the alien ended up empathizing with the human race and helped Melanie to go back to them.

I'd give this movie 3 out of 5!

4)The Internship

I think this movie had its moments.At times it was very funny and sweet.It's basically about two guys who used to work for a company who makes watch and they're basically the salesmen.One day the company collapse and they lost everything.So they decided to join the intership for Google but there's so many other worthy candidates and they're the oldest one there.

I've always been fascinated with Google headquarters that years back I even read a blog of their employee who documents what he eats at the various cafe/restaurants there everyday.They get free food everyday by the way!

It was funny because Owen Wilson and Vince Vaughn's characters are so behind in terms of technology and these teenagers knows more about it than them.It's definitely a light but fun watch.

I'd give this movie 3 out of 5 too!

5)The World's End

Who doesn't love British actors?They're brilliant!And in this movie,there's two of them that I adore--Simon Pegg and Martin Freeman.Simon Pegg co-wrote this movie by the way.It's hilarious and have a crazy story behind it.

The story is about Gary King(Simon Pegg) who rallies his estranged friends after 20 years to go back to their hometown of Newton Haven and finish their 12 pubs crawl in order to reach the last pub which is named...The World's End.A lot of crazy things happened while they were on their pub crawl!

There's a lot of hilarious bit in this movie and it is a must watch if you want a good laugh.Also,Pierce Brosnan is in it!haha

I'd give the movie 4 out of 5.

6)Jobs


I was obsessed with Steve Jobs autobiography.I read it last year on my iPad via the iBook app(quite appropriate don't you think?haha) and even print screen a lot of the pages because I was hoping to blog about it but the time has yet to come because I can be OCD about it hahah

My point being is that Steve Jobs is eccentric,difficult to work with,a genius and many more.He has achieved so much in his life and he had such a brilliant and exciting life but unfortunately it didn't translate on the screen through this movie.

It was such a disappointment to me who's a big fan of Steve Jobs!Ashton Kutcher did a good job as Steve Jobs but the storyline was just so boring.

They could choose more exciting parts of Job's life like the time when he was fired from Apple but he created Pixar& became the maker of Toy Story,his relationship with his kids(which was pretty cute as he grew older),his biological father who's a muslim from Syria & his half sister Mona,how the media berated him for creating the first Apple store(Business Week wrote a headline titled "Sorry Steve,Here's Why Apple Stores Won't Work") in 2001 but in 2010, it became the store that grosses more per square foot than any other store in the world(the Manhattan 5th Avenue store)..

There's just so many other exciting things that they can choose to highlight in the movie.Take the Social Network for an example..I love that movie!I wish Jobs was as exciting as that..but it just wasn't and was such a bore!

I'd give this movie 2 out of 5.

7)Admission 
I love Tina Fey and Paul Rudd.Put both of them together in a movie and you have a winning combination.The movie is sweet and funny..

Basically Tina Fey works as one of the admissions officer at Yale University and one day she met this special boy who is actually her kid and her life becomes upside down.Paul Rudd is the owner of Quest School,an alternative high school where the boy studies at.I love the concept of Quest School.If only we had that kind of school here in Malaysia!haha

This movie is enjoyable,funny and sweet.

I'd give it 3 out of 5 stars.

I hope I get to do atleast one more blogpost before the year ends!

0 comments: