Spaghetti meatballs

Sunday, January 02, 2011 Liyana Hanim 0 Comments



I haven't made this dish in awhile & ever since my workmate/fellow Teslian asked for the meatball recipe,I wanted to make this dish..So yesterday I splurge & bought a heck load of cooking & baking ingredients cos I wanted to try a bunch of recipes.And today,I made this dish..:)

It's really simple actually to make the sauce & the meatballs.And I'm sorry but for cooking,I don't measure as I taste my food along the way of making them.Adding this and that as I go along.But the meatball recipe was taken from Jamie Oliver but I improvised on it & twist the recipe a bit.

Tomato Sauce

1 can of tomato puree
1/2 of a huge bombay onion,diced
1 can of button mushrooms,slice
1 grated carrot(u can add chopped celery as well but I forgot to buy em')
Fresh basil&oregano(my mum plants these),chopped
A few tomatoes,chopped(I used to scald them in hot water & then peel the skins off but no time for that nowadays!)
Black pepper
Sugar
Salt
Water

Saute onions with mushrooms & herbs.Season with salt & sugar(I learned on tv frm Mario Battali that you should season first,not last!).
Add chopped tomatoes & cooked until a bit soft.Add carrots.Mix well then add tomato puree.
Top with a few dash of black pepper.Taste & add sugar if needed.
Pour some water if it's too thick.
Lower the heat & let simmer for 5-10 mins.
Meatballs

Ground beef--use high quality one,not frozen if poss
Yellow mustard--around 3 tablespoon
2 slice of bread soak in milk until mush--Jamie used crushed cream crackers but I like this better cos it makes the meatballs more juicy
2 cloves of garlic,grated
1 egg,beaten
Fresh rosemary,chopped(rosemary goes well with beef & also,potatoes---glad my mum plants em!)
Salt & sugar to taste


Mix them all together & make sure the mixture isn't too soft until you can't shaped them into balls.Shaped a small one & fry with a little oil to taste first,then you can add a bit more mustard or sugar/salt if needed.

Hope you'll enjoy making them!

0 comments: