Laskar Pelangi

Monday, April 18, 2011 Liyana Hanim 0 Comments


"Hiduplah untuk memberi sebanyak-banyaknya, dan bukan untuk menerima sebanyak-banyaknya"(live to give a lot and not to receive a lot)


I can't believe it took me 3 years to finally watch this movie!Because the movie was out on 2008 & I only watched it today.

The movie is Laskar Pelangi and is based on the book written by Andrea Hirata.It is about hope,education,friendship,dream and love.

The movie is about Muslimah,a young muslim woman who is adamant to teach the poor kids of the Belitung Island folks at SK Muhammadiyah along with the founder of the school,Pak Harfan, her uncle.

In order to be able to teach,a class has to consist of 10 students.So the story revolve around the journey of those 10 students,who was named Laskar Pelangi(Rainbow Troops).

It was a name given by Muslimah when they had to learn outside of the classroom one day,cos' their class was flooded & they came upon a beach & saw the rainbow come out.

Since the duration of the movie is 1 hour and 59 minutes,I will only blog about parts that I love in the movie.

Oh btw,the child actors in the movie are actually kids living in Belitung as the directors believed that by casting them,they'll have a deeper connection with the movie.And the school does exist!

And the reason why the way Muslimah & Pak Harfan speaks are not as thick Indonesian & sounded a bit like Malay language is because a percentage of the people living there are Malays.

*The part where Ikal/Kal saw A Ling's fingernails when she passed him the chalk through the hole in Toko Sinar Harapan and he said that it was the most beautiful fingernails he has ever seen & everytime he thinks about her,flower petals effects fall from the sky..AHAHAHA.Very funny!

*When the boys participated in the Independence Day parade and Mahar,inspired by Flo's National Geographic magazine,came up with the costume below & a brilliant dance routine..hahaha.

*During the Scholastic Tournament when Lintang proved the judges wrong because this one lady thought that he was cheating since he's very fast in answering the maths question & looked down on him just cause he looked poor!I was so furious when I watched that particular scene.

*When Mahar & Flo brought the kids to see Tuk Bayan Tula(a shaman) cos' their grades were low that time and they receive a mantra from him,written in a piece of paper..Watch this part guys,so funny!!

There are of course a few sad and very humbling parts as well but I'll leave that part alone as I truly believe more people should watch this gem of an Indonesian movie and see those parts.

Watching this movie made me appreciate the opportunities that has been given to me and the education that I have got, that made me earned my degree.And insyallah,I hope by 2013,I will finish with my Masters.

The movie reaffirms my belief that education is important but just like what they were trying to point out in the movie is that grades is not the most important thing..it is the values that education teaches that create a great human being.:)

0 comments: