Book Reviews!

Saturday, August 14, 2010 Liyana Hanim 0 Comments

Haven’t done this in awhile and in fact,just wrapped all of the books that I bought yesterday.Yes,I am a big nerd!All of the 150++ books in my collection are wrapped in embossed pvc plastic(the smooth one,not the shiny one!) and no other kind of plastic wrap will do.

1. Twenties Girl by Sophie Kinsella

This is a new genre by Sophie Kinsella since it involves a girl being able to see a talking ghost.Truthfully,compared to her other books,I didn’t enjoy this book as much.I much much prefer her shopaholic series and even her other non-shopaholic books.Basically the book is about Lara who is able to see her dead great aunt but in a much younger form.She has to help her great aunt Sadie find her lost necklace.

There are some plus points in the book like the great big reveal on Aunt Sadie’s love.The relationship between Ed & Lara.But I so don’t like the idea that a ghost can make you do things that you don’t want to..That’s just scary!Although Kinsella put it in a funny way.If I have to rate this book it’ll be 3 out of 5.

2. The Wedding Girl by Madeleine Wickham

This book is also written by Sophie Kinsella albeit in a different name.I love this book because of the simple yet complicated plot.It’s about Milly who’s about to marry Simon,the son of Harry Pinnacle,a millionaire, when something about her past is about to resurface and ruin the wedding of the year.

The characters in the book-- like Milly’s family which consists of -James & Olivia her parents and her sister,Isobel, Simon’s father Harry,Milly’s godmother-Esme Omerod & Rupert,tied the whole story together and was essential in making this book a very enjoyable read.The book also touch a bit on gay relationship,something that you never thought Madeleine Wickham/Sophie Kinsella can do.

There are many twist and turns in this book and I like the theme of this book which is essentially about relationships and family.The relationship between Milly and Simon;Olivia and James;Harry and Isobel(spoiler!),Rupert and Allan. I’d give this book 4 out of 5.

3. L.A Candy by Lauren Conrad

Ever since I watched MTV’s reality show Laguna Beach when I was a teen(I have all 3 seasons on dvd!) I became a big fan of Lauren Conrad.What not to love about her anyway?She’s nice,fashionable,beautiful and real,not at all flaky.

I read this book in 1 day.It was like The Hills only much much juicier.The main character is Jane who along with her best friend Scarlett,is on a reality tv-show called L.A Candy along with 2 other girls,Madison and Gaby.

Although this can’t be compared as a literary gem,I thought that for a first attempt by Lauren,this was pretty good.Can’t wait to read the sequel to this book Sweet Little Lies!

Currently I am reading 2 books-The Carrie Diaries by Candace Bushnell & Every Day in Tuscany by Frances Mayes.Hopefully I'll finish reading both books by the end of this week!:)

0 comments: